The history of the Rosenstein development area
How the area has changed over the centuries
The history of the Rosenstein development area is closely linked to the history of railway traffic. Until 1922, Stuttgart’s central railway station was located on today’s Bolzstrasse near Neues Schloss and the current Rosenstein development area was mainly park landscape. This changed with the decision to build a new, larger central station due to a higher traffic volume. In 1907, King William II. decided that a new terminus should be erected. As a result, today’s central station, designed by Paul Bonatz, and the existing track field were built between 1914 and 1928.
The idea to redesign the terminus into a lowered run-through station and dismantle the above-ground tracks came to public attention for the first time in 1994. As early as in 1998, the tracks of the former freight station in today’s Europaviertel were removed and the first new buildings erected as of 2001. Except for this site, the City of Stuttgart bought the entire freed-up land from the Deutsche Bahn for the development of Stuttgart Rosenstein.